Are you wondering why there a lot of photography professionals who are using the analog camera and analog format again? If you are, here are some of the reasons why they are opting to use the analog camera:
- The image’s look is different when you use an analog camera because a film has an incredible color palette. The film also offers a wide dynamic range of detail in both shadows and highlights. There are many digital photographers who have been trying to imitate the look that a film could give, but they just can’t.
- Using an analog format camera will enhance your skills as a photographer. Why? Because operating an analog camera requires precision, training and lots of practice. It is quite hard to figure out how an analog camera functions as well as how to replace its film, so for sure your skills will be enhanced when you decide to use the analog camera.
- In using this format you will be challenged in how you will direct your model so that he or she will not close his or her eyes when you release the shutter.
- You will save more time when you use film. This is because your shoots are limited to the number of pictures that your film can accommodate. So if your film is just equivalent to 40 pictures that you will have to shoot only 40 poses or pictures. Another time saver is that the developing and scanning processes can be outsourced, which gives you more time to do the things you love while you wait.
- Analog format cameras are now cheaper than the digital ones because they are out of production. You can surely buy one in a second-hand store at a reasonable price. Also you will not have the urge to upgrade your equipment because it doesn’t have one so will just have to settle for the one that you already have.
- The quality of BOKEH in an analog camera is better compared to the BOKEH in a digital camera. BOKEH, the Japanese for ‘blur’, is the manner at which “the lens renders out-of-focus points of light”. This technique will add more artistry on the image. It will also enhance the focus of your image, in such a way that your viewer will focus their look at the image that is focused because the other parts are blurred.
So, are you ready to take the challenge and start using the analog format camera again?